Friday, August 10, 2007

Playing around with a new lens



Since the Canon 18-55mm kit lens pretty much sucks (sharpness is a BIG issue with me), I've invested in a new lens. Since I want a basic walkaround lens, I did some research (which I'll talk about later), and ultimately decided to go with a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8. It's the range I want, and the reviews were favorable.

I just haven't had time to experiment with it much. Since I've gotten it, the Cleveland weather has turned HORRIBLE, with a lot of rain, high humidity, and gray days. So I need to take it out and play with it a bit.

Here's a start; I ran out to our backyard and snapped a picture of one of my wife's sunflowers. Canon Digital Rebel XT, Sigma 17-70mm f2.8 lens, shot at 1/160th of a second exposure at f7, ISO 100, 70mm. Photo taken a few days ago (August, 2007)

It's mostly a macro shot, and I'm actually pleased with the sharpness so far. However, what I really love to do are landscape photographs, so until I can get out somewhere with the lens, I don't honestly know how well it's going to do. Which is important, because I want to take it to Cape Cod next month for my annual vacation, where I love taking tons of photographs (it's certainly quite photogenic!).

No comments: