Monday, August 13, 2007

Cape Cod, part 1



One reason I decided to take up photography (after putting it down repeatedly, but that's another story) is Cape Cod. My wife is a New Englander, and started dragging me to the Cape every year for a vacation ... and I found that I loved the place. It's gorgeous, it's relaxing, and it has the most amazing light. Now I see why artists and photographers have flocked there for years ... it is the perfect place to make art, take photos, relax, write, shop, eat, swim, sunbathe, do whatever ...

So I started by just taking photos of things that caught my eye, using a Canon Powershot A75. Yep, just a point-and-shoot. But I liked the results I was getting. Inspired, I broke down and bought an SLR, figuring it was time to start taking it a bit more seriously, and really work on getting good photos. Cape Cod is my muse, so why not pursue it as fully as I can (within the limitations of having no money for fancy equipment, and only a week or two a year on the Cape).

If you've not been there ... you must go. There's no other place quite like it. And when it's good weather, you'll be amazed by the light. That magic "golden light" that you get first thing in the morning and at the end of the day? You get that for hours upon hours at the Cape. It's bright, it's intense, it's golden. It begs for a camera to be taken out and used, it screams out to take some pictures, and share the beauty of this small elbow of land on the far east coast.

And of course, I'm an amateur schmuck, so I can't do it justice. But regardless, I love taking photos of the Cape, so I'll periodically post some of them here!

This is the harbor at Vineyard Haven, on Martha's Vineyard. Taken 9/06 with my Canon PowerShot A75. 13.4mm, F4.5 @ 1/800

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice pics! You have a good eye for the composition of a shot. And having a damn good camera helps, too ;-)

I'm asking for one I can take macro shots with for my birthday, as I only seem to want to take pictures of tiny bugs, plants, etc..

Terry said...

I love the boats. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't mind having a large canvas print made to hang in my home!!